Monday 24 April 2017

Ekphrasis

Our challenge today is to write an ekphrasis inspired by the marginalia of medieval manuscripts. As I pretty much live and breathe anything medieval, the challenge is hereby accepted!

My inspiration derives from this rather bizarre image:

Montpellier, Bibliothèque interuniversitaire. Section Médecine, H 418, detail of f. 107v.
Institutes of Justinian (15th century)

The Snail Slayer

“Oh, woe is me!”
Cried the farmer out of key,
“My cabbages are doomed!”

He wiped his brow,
Before the king did bow,
But his voice was full of gloom

“A snail, giant snail,”
Did the poorest farmer wail,
“Hath eaten my crop full-grown”

A knight of the court,
A tall and gangly sort,
Stepped forward with sword drawn

“Show me the snail,
I’ll cut off his tail,
At the end of my sword he will groan!”

The farmer most grateful
Promised the knight a plateful
If the giant snail he could slay

The knight, most excited
Set out unaffrighted,
Giant snail would be his prey

Not far out of town
Did he look with a frown
On a giant slug with helm

He marched up to it
And upon it did quip,
“You’re the fattest slug in the realm!”

The snail did scoff,
“So, you think you’re a boff?
He laughed from his perch on the elm

The knight lifted his sword,
The snail screamed, “Oh my word!”
And begged the knight’s hand to stay

The mollusk looked sad
Rather than mad,
To the knight for his life he did pray

The knight lowered his sword,
He could utter no word,
His promise was chivalry

He made the snail promise
That he’d nay again upon us
If they ended the rivalry

The snail nay returned
Vegetables to overturn
And the knight retired to the armoury


Andrea Vermaak

No comments:

Post a Comment