Monday 3 April 2017

Elegy

This prompt hits home rather hard. Three of my grandparents passed away last year. This elegy is for my grandpa, George, who passed away first. It was a horrible shock to the whole family, but he lives on in my heart and mind with much, much love.

*Takes a deep breath...


George

 Your walking stick
Does not replace you,
Does not bring us comfort,
Though you threatened to hit
Anyone who'd hurt us with it

Your hat
Does not suit
Or fit anyone else
Though we'd prefer to see it
Again on you anyway

Your booming voice,
Your shaking shoulders
As you'd chuckle to yourself
Can still be heard across the months
That you've not been here

I miss your interruptions
And your phone calls
To help you with an email
I miss typing your illegible scribbles
And filling in your missing punctuation

Most of all, I miss you
Calling me from across your flat
"Annie, my girl, come here!"

And your long-winded stories
About how you knew everyone
(which you indeed did!)

And how you listened
You really, really listened

You made us French toast
And vetkoek 
And the best onion rings ever

I miss your profound wisdom
And your sharp humour

I miss your interest in me

I loved your garden

I still love you

You did your best
And gave your all

We are blessed
And yet we're empty without you 

Andrea Vermaak

(I have to stop now before I become dehydrated from crying too much. This is one of the most difficult poems I've ever written.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment