Wednesday 5 April 2017

Gratitude

Today, I want to express my gratitude for the small things that make me happy. Even the small things can place our lives in perspective when we think of those who do not have them...

I am grateful

I am grateful for the air I breathe
And the soft light of the winter morning sun
While many choke on fumes of mustard gas
And hide in the darkness of their fears

I am grateful for the lizards in my garden
And the moths around my front door light
While many feet will never feel grass again
And never breathe in the sweetness of flowers

I am grateful for my tiny flat
And my family ten minutes away
While many live alone in blasted concrete shells
That were once there homes

I am grateful for my morning coffee
And sad songs on the radio
While many will never taste,
Nor hear sweet melodies again

I am grateful for laughter
And great slices of creamy cake
While a smile is but a distant memory
For those who cry from hunger

I am grateful for sad movies
And friends who cry with me
Yet we could never understand
The pain of those who have nothing left

Andrea Vermaak




No comments:

Post a Comment