Thursday 20 April 2017

My poems do pliés

Our challenge today is to write a poem which "incorporates the vocabulary and imagery of a specific sport or game."

As I am the least sporty person I know, I will take my chances and say that ballet (which I do know and understand) is a sport (though I dare say it is more an art form, as fit and toned as you have to be!).

Perhaps writing poetry is both art form and sport too: flexible mind, quick fingers...


 Poetry is ballet

 The mind stretches and pliés 
At the barre to warm up
Before it attempts to 
Glissade reluctantly across the keyboard

Fingers' ideas begin to frappé 
As words balancé
Across the page

All may seem as complicated
As a pirouette

Yet the poet attempts a finale
With a chassé, coupé
and grand jetté

Words assemblé and grande reverence

Andrea Vermaak




 







No comments:

Post a Comment