Thursday 11 April 2019

Origins

Like yesterday's challenge, I love today's challenge! We are challenged 'to write a poem of origin'. We are prompted to write about from whence we came and where we are now. Our poems need not necessarily be geographical. This is a fantastic idea!


Me

I was molded
by a stubborn streak
and large bouts of anxiety

I grew to be meek and mild
and silenced
and boxed in,
yearning to break free

Once free,
my wings grew large
and I fluttered about,
tasting the sweet nectar of life

I grew legs
and ran away 
across the sea
and hills
to discover my history
and my future

I came back,
stronger,
independent, 
having proved myself

But someone trampled on my wings
and broke my legs,
and tried to crush me

But I am of my mother's courage,
I am of my father's sense of adventure,
of my grandparents' faith

I will not be whom others want me to be

I will stand firm,
I will run free

I am me

No comments:

Post a Comment