Sunday 28 April 2019

Meta-poetry

I am metaphorically beating myself up a little about not being able to meet the challenge of writing one poem per day during the month of April for the first time ever since I discovered and took part in GloPoWriMo. I know I will get over myself eventually because life is what it is: busy. One must accept it.

Changing careers to teach has left me with less time to myself than ever before. I knew what I was signing up for (there are many teachers in my family and friendship circles), but I did not expect it to dampen my creativity, or to leave me too exhausted to create anything worthwhile when I have the chance...

Anyway, I am back on the saddle and determined to write something this evening!

Our daily prompt is to write a meta-poem; a poem about poetry. I've written a few in the past when inspiration struck, but let's see what I can manage tonight...


When the words came

When the words came,
they poured over me like rain,
running down
my head,
my shoulders,
my arms
and dripping 
from my finger tips

They soaked the page
in similes and metaphors,
hyperbole and pain

They smudged 
and drowned
under tears

They strained 
under obscurity

Sometimes, they twisted
into impertinent grins

Sometimes, they laughed
with the summer sun

But when they came,
the words
flowed

freely

No comments:

Post a Comment