Wednesday 3 April 2019

Points in time

Today's challenge is to write a poem which 'involves a story or action that unfolds over an appreciable length of time.' A suggestion is made to focus on imagery, sound, emotional content, or all of the above. I love this challenge, so I am going to try and do just that!

My attempt is write about a stroll through my favourite city...Edinburgh in Scotland, of course!

I even pay homage to William Wordsworth's I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud (I recently covered this poem with my grade 8 students, so a two-word phrase slipped into my poem. Can you spot it?)


Oh, but to wander

 I long for the manifold days
far beyond the sea
where Curiosities are commoners
and Culture stands on every corner

I miss strolling aimlessly
past History,
sometimes stopping to scrutinise her,
ever wondering what secrets she keeps

I ever wish to stop,
to gaze – and gaze 
 upon the daffodils,
to sip on forbidden sunshine
with the damp green grass 
beneath bare feet

I yearn to turn towards home
as the rain spits on my boots
and in my face;
to perch on the window sill
as I listen to the afternoon gulls,
close my eyes
and breathe the air of Serenity

No comments:

Post a Comment