Thursday 4 April 2019

Sad times

Today's challenge seems to have arrived right on cue. I am feeling rather melancholic and nostalgic this evening, and I was hoping for something in which I could immerse my emotions.

The challenge: to write a sad poem which 'achieves sadness through simplicity.' I will do my best to keep things as simple as possible, but I adore using imagery.

We are further challenged to write a sonnet, but after the draining day I have had, I am gracefully going to bow out of this part of the challenge. If you walked in my shoes today, you would understand.


The Sounds of Sadness

It's in the sound 
of a neighbour playing the piano
on a rainy day

It's in the silent embrace
of friends
as you board the train
and wave goodbye

It's the high notes
of voices
as they sing sad songs

It's a muffled giggle
at a silly photograph
as you remember

It's the unsteady beat
of your broken heart
as you try to forget

No comments:

Post a Comment