Thursday 5 April 2018

Connections and responses

It is perhaps best if state today's prompt as is: 'to write a poem that, like the work in Translucence, reacts both to photograph and to words in a language not your own.'

We are to begin with a photograph. I have chose the photograph below:





We are then to find a poem in a language we don't know (this site was recommended). I decided on A voz era pánico by Chus Pato. The title of the poem purely coincidentally translates as 'The voice was panic,' which, in my opinion, represents the chosen photo perfectly. (I promise that I did not seek this out, but merely stumbled across it.) 

I have chosen to respond to only part of the poem as it is a very long poem:



A voz era pánico
e desexaba, insistía, ter hábito(s) no poema
.........................

pero non todo pode ser transportado (non a voz, desde logo)


si o espírito que invade ao bardo, entre as uces irtas


e porque chove, os habitantes do poema teñen que abrir os seus paraugas // sacan o que levan dentro e búscanlle acomodo fóra


[só porque ti pousas a mirada no texto podo comezar coas solucións]


isto é o que consegue Cabaleiro Amábel, facer que seres alienados se presenten ante o mundo, e moi ao seu pesar, como persoas ceibes


pero só a voz empasta as tres historias
a voz que a escritura non acubilla

así pois, un poeta é un ser ancián.




We are then to ignore the accompanying English translation and translate 'the poem into English, with the idea that the poem is actually "about" [our] photograph' [My insertion]. We are to use 'the look and feel of the words in the original to guide' us along as we write, 'while trying to describe the photograph.' Here goes...I think this may turn out to be rather, um, humorous.



The voice was panic
It insisted on being in this poem
.........................


It wanted to be transmitted (not the voice, but a thought)

Yes, a spirit of irritation had invaded the boy's mind

Please, it wants to be heard in this poem,
Do not accommodate those who will stand in its way

[Listen please, no text is ever a solution to the chaos]

The consequence is that Cabaleiro Amabel, will have to face a series of great foreign presentations, and you and me, coming and going

Hear the voice of the empire through history
A voice of excruciating pain

Also, of a poet of ancient times.



There you have it. I'm not quite sure if it works (*laughs and cries at the same time), or even if it is indeed a response to both the chosen photograph and poem. Also, I may understand more Spanish words than I gave myself credit for. It may have detracted from my creativity. Let me know your thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment