Sunday 15 April 2018

Villains are human too

I love today's prompt! We're to write a poem in which 'a villain faces an unfortunate situation and is revealed to be human (but still evil).'

I have always maintained that the greatest villains are far more complex than we give them credit for, showing both regret and satisfaction with regard to their evil deeds. This challenge is, therefore, right up my alley.

I've chosen to write about Sauron from J.R.R Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I hope that Tolkien would approve as I have such deep respect for him.


His all-seeing eye
looks left and right,
back and forth,
scanning the horizon 
for enemies...
and his long-lost love

He thirsts for the destruction
of rebellious creatures –
those who seek to destroy him in turn

Yet he pines 
in the same breath
for a love that once was,
a love that 
may never be

He dreams of a time
long-lost 
in the ebb and flow
of his ego

Oh, for his love to return,
that they may exchange rings
more powerful than the One,
that they may rule
together




No comments:

Post a Comment