Tuesday 24 April 2018

To my friend

Again, I really can't believe that April is almost over. The next Global Poetry Writing Month can't come quick enough!

Today's challenge is to write an elegy. This is no mean feat as it requires, in my opinion, doing someone you miss and love justice in but a few words and with a conclusion of hopefulness.

As my grandparents' deaths are still far too raw, I'm going to write an elegy for a friend. I doubt it will be any easier though...


Moon boy

You once told me the crescent moon
looked like a banana in the sky,
that I should toast marshmallows there

You showed me your art with pride 
an abstract waterfall
on your bedroom floor

I glimpsed a piece of your heart
in your midnight poetry
and birthday cards

Your kindness and love
shone in your eyes;
your life told a story

But you left a legacy, an example 
big shoes to fill
and a hole in our hearts

Now you toast marshmallows 
on your banana moon 
 one day, I will join you









No comments:

Post a Comment