Monday 21 April 2014

A feast for the senses

Today, I will draw inspiration from yet another prompt. We are prompted to write a poem in which we "very specifically describe something in terms of at least three of the five senses".

Bali, a beautiful Indonesian island which I was fortunate to visit last year for a dear friend's wedding, immediately came to mind. Every aspect of the island is a feast for the senses, is utterly captivating and captures the imagination in a wonderful way.

I have titled my poem after the name I gave a perfume I made at L'atelier while in Bali. Its scent reminds me of my visit, as I hoped it would. I just hope that my poem does justice to the island as I try to capture Bali's essence in a more metaphorical way than (literally) trying to bottle it.


Indonesian Daydream
 
Incense, flowers and laughter
Dance on the sea breeze,
While coconut and spices
Tease my lips
 
Gamelan music
Floats on sweet air,
Moving gracefully
Between brightly coloured silks
 
Smiles and kindness
Embrace me,
Tempt me
To stay
 
The day's joy clings to me
Like the friendship of the balmy night
 
Andrea Vermaak

No comments:

Post a Comment