Monday 28 April 2014

Out in the open

My sixth and final poem for today draws inspiration from outside. We are prompted to look outside a window and spend a bit of time jotting down all the nouns and colours we see, as well as all the things that are taking place outside, writing down the relevant verbs for each action. We are then prompted to use our list of words to inspire a poem.

I can't help but think of the scenes outside my flat window, below the castle, when I lived in Edinburgh. On rainy days, when I was not at work, I would happily watch the world go by, sitting on the couch and staring out of the window. My poem is, therefore, also about those outdoor scenes, that happy time. Not much colour is used though, but I think the scene sets itself... Either way, I hope you enjoy it!


Looking out
 
Looking out of my flat window,
I see the puddle splashed streets below,
The grey, cloudy skies above
 
 People run to catch buses
Or catch-up with friends;
People sing in the rain
 
Mothers carrying heavy bags
And herding laughing children,
Dodge early party-goers
Already skipping in the street
 
Rabbits hop and hide in shrubs
Between oblivious walkers
And Queen Mary's quarters,
Which dominate the skyline
 
Two young men
Sing and wave at me;
I smile and wave back
 
All is right with the world.
 
Andrea Vermaak

No comments:

Post a Comment