Monday 28 April 2014

She sells seashells....

A challenge is to write a poem, using one or more names of seashells in a given list. The poem need not be about seashells, just inspired by one or more of the names. I used the entire list and took cue from Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky to write a nonsense poem. I've placed the names in bold for the sake of convenient perusal.

Yes, I know what you're thinking, and yes, they really are actual names of seashells. My poem may be just as silly, if not more so, as the seashells' unfortunate names...


You, yes you!
 
I saw you wander
Under incised moon,
Your strawberry top
Tucked under heavy bonnet
 
Your false cup-and-saucer smile
Held unequal bittersweet sincerity
As you passed me in my Peruvian hat
 
I know you still have my Lazarus jewel box,
My leather donax and striped engina;
My tricolour niso I know
Lies in ruins
 
But you deny and look away
To pet your shoulderblade sea cat
You now feed on sparse dove,
Snout otter clam and
Atlantic turkey wing,
While you sip tea with triangular nutmeg
In shuttlecock volvas and woody canoebubbles
 
You are the epitome of awful,
You tuberculate emarginula!
You ghastly miter!
 
Andrea Vermaak
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment