Saturday 19 April 2014

After 'The Tyger'

Today, I am going to rewrite William Blake's poem The Tyger, using a lion as my subject. I'm not too fond of wild animals (they scare me!), but a lion is more fitting than any great cat to replace a tiger, seeing as I am born and bred South African. I've tried my best to keep the original metre and rhyme scheme where possible.

 
The Lion

Lion! Lion! roaring loud
In the bush veld, standing proud,
What terrific fear could pierce
 The greatest mortal heart so fierce?

 
In what distant plains do prowl
 The dark shadows of your scowl?
 In what darkness dare prey to roam?
Where this great beast can call home?

 
And what great power and great dare
Could twist your mind so as to scare?
And with your heart so wild and free,
What do you think? What do you see?

 
What of anger? what of pain?
In what terror of your mane?
What of danger? what is said
 Of those who thee in nightmares dread?

 
When great men break down in tears,
Releasing all their bottled fears,
Do you savour them to cry?
 And do you strive where vultures fly?

 
Lion! Lion! roaring loud
 In the bush veld, standing proud,
What terrific fear dare pierce
 The greatest mortal heart so fierce?
 
Andrea Vermaak

No comments:

Post a Comment