Monday 14 April 2014

A golden shovel

Today, I attempted to write a 'golden shovel', a poem in which the last word of every line is that of another poem. The poem I have chosen from which to dig is William Butler Yeats' When you are old.

As this is my first ever attempt at a 'golden shovel', I have only uprooted the words of the first stanza of Yeats' fine work. The result is that I wrote from a 'stream of consciousness'. I'm not quite sure if I like the outcome. I sincerely doubt that Yeats would approve...


I loved you once
 
I loved you once when
you were you
and not how others are;
 now that you're old,
I love you more and
no grey 
skies could conquer your light and
 joy so full
 of
inner strength; but sleep,
 and sing and
dream, while I smile, nodding,
knowing, remembering by
the wrinkles around your eyes, the
 great fire,
that once was in them, a fire that would take,
 would claim all joyful moments and burn down;
all unfortunate memories; this
 great heart, great book,
of life and
adventure that now slowly
 fades; I read
once of your desire and
wishful dream
to see all of
the great world, all of the
rolling hills so soft
beneath your feet; you'd once again look,
and feel with your
heart, see clearly with eyes
that once had
seen it all before, once,
had felt it all before and
taken it all in; all that of
beauty that was never yours. Now you go to their
reflection, the beauty and shadows
of mountains strong and deep.
 
 
Andrea Vermaak
 
 
 
 
To read the rest of Yeats' nostalgic poem, visit http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/172055

No comments:

Post a Comment