Wednesday 16 April 2014

How much do I love thee...

A prompt was to write a love poem for an inanimate object. If a city may be viewed as an 'inanimate object', then my object of affection is an obvious one: Edinburgh.

I lived and worked in Edinburgh for over eight months in 2008. It is, in my opinion, the most amazing, beautiful city in the world; one which I will love as my second home forever.

I dedicate this poem to you Edinburgh, my love.

 
Edinburgh
 
I answered when you called my name
And you showed me beautiful secrets
On golden lit streets
 
Memories are written in your
Ever changing skies,
Nostalgia in your music
 
Your heart,
Your pulse,
Is your people,
Brave souls with dancing eyes
 
The wind whispers the names
Of warriors, kings and thieves,
Of those who lift your standard,
Those who turn your wheels
 
Sleepy, proud city,
I still hear you call my name,
 I still walk your streets in my dreams.
 
 
Andrea Vermaak
 


7 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea, I also started pretty late, a day before you. And so glad I did. I just wanted to say, I'm enjoying your poems very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Also, all the best! Please send a link to your blog - I'd love to read your poems too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the good wishes, Andrea! I'm at www.simpleslantingbones.blogspot.com Here's to a creative second half of the month!

      Delete
    3. Great, thank you! I shall have a look shortly!

      Delete
  2. Hi Andrea - I've lived in Edinburgh for 19 years, and really enjoyed your poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really tried to capture the atmosphere of Edinburgh.

      Delete
    2. Are you also taking part in NaPoWriMo? Please forward the details of your blog if you are. I would love to read some of your poetry too :-)

      Delete