Friday 10 April 2020

A new take on the haiku

Our prompt today seems quick and easy, but I think it may just fox me yet! We are to write a hay(na)ku; a variant on the haiku, created by poet Eileen Tobios and named by Vince Gotera, a long-time Na/GloPoWriMo participant.

A hay(na)ku consists of a three-line stanza. The first line has one word, the second has two, and the third line – you guessed it – has three words.

We may write just one hay(na)ku, or link several together to create a longer poem. I have always believed that less is more, so I will try my best to write a single powerful hay(na)ku as the original haiku was intended to be written.

I'll take inspiration from my present circumstances...


Silence
all around
except one cricket

Andrea Vermaak © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment