Tuesday 21 April 2020

Do you speak...?

Today's prompt is a fun one! We're to make use of the given resource, Poetry International, to find a poem in a language we don't know and write a 'homophonic translation' of it. In other words, we're to write a poem, no matter how weird and wonderful it may turn out to be, "simply based on how it sounds."

I would love to have chosen a poem in Assamese, purely because I had never heard of the language until this evening, but I, alas, cannot read their script. Neither can I read Armenian, or Dogri. So, I have chosen a poem in Irish (Gaelic) called Glaoch by Doireann Ní Ghríofa. I have no doubt that this will turn out rather badly...*Cue laughter.


Glare

Nigh chandeliers
on corded coal,
on string they left on sin near more.
I roam say near Rio Mari,
nigh thick lime
do good a bro near guy err do more close.
Nigh close him to ag annually. A noise, say a line lag so
an' t-nigh' she gal am mine at a ear drain
a gust timid
as a shale
air is
is
air is a-la


Andrea Vermaak @ 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment