Saturday 25 April 2020

How's the weather?

Today's challenge (and it certainly is a challenge), was developed by Hoa Nguyen, a poet and teacher. We are to use James Schuyler's poem Hymn to Life as a guidepost for our poetry. However, it is not as simple as it seems, as you will discover when viewing the entire challenge here.

Were it not quite so deep into the evening and had I more energy, I may have jumped for joy at the challenge (which I certainly will do if I remember it at an hour when I am more alert). However, I am usually winding down at this time of day. Therefore, I choose to be inspired by a few of the recommended inclusions without reading Schuyler for about 24 minutes (apparently).


The storm

The red, orange, yellow, brown
leaves quiver
in the unusually warm wind

The once clear sky,
now shrouded in thick darkness
threatens to tear apart

A bright flash singes
a trembling horizon
followed by rumbling sky drums 

The leaves, 
terrified
fall


Andrea Vermaak © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment