Friday 3 April 2020

Rhyme

I know that the poetry convener of my local writing circle would love today's prompt because he loves...rhyme!

We are prompted to make a list of any ten words, generated in whatever fashion we fancy, and then use the suggested resource, RhymeZone, to identify two or four similar-sounding or rhyming words. We are then to use our completed list of words to write a poem, but we need not use every word. This should be fun...

My list

1. radio: flow, show
2. song: strong, wrong
3. fiddles: riddles, tarradiddles
4. tap: clap, wrap
5. drum: strum, glum
6. voice: choice, rejoice
7. dance: chance, prance
8. twirl: swirl, whirl
9. laugh: autograph, last half, staff
10. jig: dig, gig


The ceilidh

I was listening to the radio,
when halfway through that very show,
just before they played a song,
I heard a message and heard it strong

A ceilidh there would be with fiddles,
the presenter never told tarradiddles,
I knew that this would be my chance
to dance like I had never danced

With young strapping Scot I'll twirl,
he'll have my head all in a whirl;
indeed we'll toe-tap to the drum,
and clap in time to guitar strum

We'll jig as if we had no choice,
and as we dance the vine, rejoice!
Until the sweet, sweet end I'll laugh
and end up leaving with the staff


Andrea Vermaak © 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment