Sunday 26 April 2020

Time

Today's prompt is to write  poem based on our responses in the given "Almanac Questionnaire." My answers and the poem to follow:

Almanac Questionnaire

Weather: Cloudy, but warm
Flora: Inca lily
Architecture: Tuscan
Customs: I'm not big on customs
Mammals/reptiles/fish: dogs, cats and lizards
Childhood dream: To live in the mountains
Found on the street: 20c
Export: Fruit and wine
Graffiti: on Edinburgh's streets ("Down with London rule")
Lover: Whahahahahaha
Conspiracy: Is China trying to sink the world's economies?
Dress: Black swing dress with white polka dots
Hometown memory: Riding bicycles in the street
Notable person: Passenger (Mike Rosenberg. He is notable to me)
Outside your window, you find: a herb box
Today's news headline: "SA's COVID-19 death toll hits 87, infections rise to 4546"
Scrap from a letter: "eat marshmallows on the moon" (from a birthday card)
Animal from a myth: dragon
Story read to children at night: Little Red Riding Hood
You walk three minutes down an alley and you find: a view of a sunset
You walk to the border and hear: silence
What you fear: needles
Picture on your city's postcard: the Union Buildings


Never the same

Will I ever walk the streets of Edinburgh again,
trying to hide a smile at her graffiti,
shouting "Down with London rule"?

Will I ever ride a bicycle again
like when I was a kid
or dance again in
my black swing dress 
with the white polka dots?

Will I ever get to live in the mountains,
eat marshmallows on the moon,
or meet a dragon?

The world looks different,
yet –
the herb box beneath my window,
my salmon pink Inca lilies,
and the silent sunsets
remain

But
it will never be the same


Andrea Vermaak © 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment